2 B A Cute U

It's all bout decorating yourself with beautiful, elegant and unique jewelleries. This blog features the latest styles and designs by www.eleworth.com. It also provides free tips on handling your jewelleries.


Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Jade - Fake or Real?

There are 2 types of Jade - nephrite(soft) and jadeite(hard). Nephrite is the more common jade (cheaper and more prevalent). To tell the difference between the two, all you have to do is to get a specific gravity measurement, that is a ratio between how much the stone weighs in air versus in water. Jadeite is 3.33 and Nephrite is 2.95.

Many inexpensive jade pieces are made from poor quality stone that may have been dyed or color-enhanced to look more appealing. Others are not made from jade at all, but from synthetic resin that have been colored to look like jade. There are all kinds of ways to tell whether a jade is real or fake. Here are some:

  • Go to a jeweler and get it appraised. Even better if you know or used the jeweler in the past because you can trust the person.
  • Another way is to hit a pawn shop and tell you want to hit a few bucks. They have testing of gems to tell whether the gems are genuine or fake.
  • Hold the stone in your hand. If it feels cool, it is real.
  • Observe the texture of the material. If there is a fracture, the texture should be splintery and rough. If it shows fairly smooth flat surfaces and "faults" (cleavage planes), you may have another type of green stone, for example Amazonite. If it is polished, does it look like it has a "dimpled" skin? Can you see tiny veining on the surface? If it is translucent, does the material look slightly fibrous? Jadeite tends to have brighter hues and a shinier polish than nephrite, which is more muted in color and subdued in luster.
These are just some ways you can try to find out whether your jade is real. The gem laboratory will definitely give you the correct and accurate results.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Karen said...

Great post-very informative and useful. It is really important to know the difference of real jade into a fake one. Thanks for a share!

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suffer from curly, frizzy, wild hair.. I have tried every product imaginable and this is the best product

out there.. It takes about a minute to heat and run it through each handful of hair once and your hair is perfect.. it will stay smooth and frizz free not to mention straight as a board until u wash your

hair next(even if u wait 3 days).. Please buy this product if u don't believe me.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I

starting using this oil when I colored my hair at the recommendation of my hairdresser because my hair sometimes felt limp and lifeless. I still use it now that I've let my gray grow out. It makes my hair

feel and smell great. I found that I don't have to wash my hair every day; I just spread some Curl Cream on my hands and scrunch it through my hair and it works out the "bedhead" look. I don't have super

curly hair; in fact, when I wash it, it looks straight. My hairdress is the one who showed me, using the Curl Cream, that my hair is actually naturally curly..not just wavy. I love it and use it nearly every

day.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home